Thursday, August 03, 2006

Off to war

So, you're on your way to the army. Big decision....more fun than school and working a part-time job. You'll be shooting guns and blowing things up. It'll be exciting for sure. How long did you say you've signed up for?-- Four years.. Let's see, thats 48 months-not too long for an 18 year old to get his bearings in life. And they are gonna give you a pot full of money when you get out too huh, well you will deserve that pot and a whole lot more. If its anything like I remember, it will be gone in no time: easy come easy go the old timers said and I rekon its still true.

Young-uns today don't seem to have a feel for things of value. Young-uns never did as far as I can see. Take Epherim, over yonder on the next block. Lives in the green shanty next to where the old black-smith shop used be. He came out of the Army, lived with this gal, broke up, started up with this other gal who had two kids -- married her then first gal had a his kid. Then then left the second gal. All that in 18 months. Now he's in a world of hurt. He's mad, broke, working at a factory for $9 bucks an hour, drivin a junk car and he won't pay child support for 3 kids that he says aint his. Probably heading for a long stay in jail. That's gonna hurt even more. He says "it ain't right" and its not but if he had his values set down to start with he wouldn't be in this fix.

It's going to take a long time to get out of this one. "How can I fix it" he asked me. I think he was asking how he could get out of paying for the child support. I don't know the answer to that question. Maybe you folks reading this have some ideas. However, it seems to me that if he doesn't get his feet under him and start thinking with a little bit of horse-sence, if and when he does get out of this one he will be getting into another fix just as bad or worse.

Values is a tough thing to get your arms around. Some thinks its just plain personal discipline but I think there's more to it than that. Its there, we all know it when we see it in a person but we dont want to do what it takes to get it: that is, until we need it real bad. Then, when we get kinda used to the next bad situation, we forget all about making some fundamental changes and just go with the flow. Been there....too many times myself.

Anyway, I've digressed, the Army will give you a clear chance to learn dicipline maybe even build character. It may not be fun either but it will be right in front of your nose every day for a while, specially in boot-camp. And, believe me when I say you'll need personal dicipline like you've never known if you get into a shoot-out overseas someplace.

I wish you the best -- even God Bless if you'll let me.

Where do these values come from? How do the youn-uns get them? Seems like there getting a lot of hard knocks nowadays.

Think about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home